Monday 29 April 2013

Hello again, long time no see.

My journey seems to have come to a kind of end- I just got a letter from the DWP. It seems that they 'have decided that the doubt no longer applies' in reference to my sanction. I am getting the money back.

No apology (of course)- just that it doesn't apply any more. No mention of them making a mistake and stressing me out for months- it just doesn't apply.

So I guess that's it. I have signed off now anyway and gone self-employed- but not due to any advice or help from the Job Centre. In fact, because there was another sanction on my claim (when I missed one appointment- due to bank holiday confusion on my part) I am not entitled to any of the help or run-on benefits that most people who go self-employed are. No run-on housing benefit or In-work credit for me. I am on my own. It's made the decision a lot harder but to be honest, it is kind of nice to just not have to deal with them anymore.

Amazingly, when I told my advisor I was signing off, she said 'well that's good, because you would have had to start the Workfare programme next month'- as if she had no recollection of my reasons for not wanting to take part, or the meeting I had with her and her boss as a result of her not listening to any of my misgivings for not doing it. I wonder if she even knows who I am?

Thanks for listening. I might write a post or two in the future as I am still following this whole Workfare thing avidly. It seems to sum up a lot of what is wrong with our society at the moment. If it's happening to you- then stay adamant and don't take it. You're a human being not a political pawn- have faith in yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma! I have really enjoyed reading your well thought out and well written blogs on being part of the system. I can empathise entirely as we are in the same situation. Six months ago I considered myself to be a reasonably logical, intelligent and worthwhile person _ I am now starting to think that I am the one who is completely insane after entering the weird and bizarre Alice in Wonderland world of the DWP, Jobcentre Plus and Universal Job Match. All the very best for the future.

    ReplyDelete